-Consumer products across all relevant categories turn film sensation into lifestyle celebration-
NEW YORK (February 12, 2019) – Following the film’s opening nationwide, The LEGO Group unveiled today three additional building sets that join its broad collection of toys inspired by the new big-screen animated adventure “The LEGO® Movie 2: The Second Part” so that families can discover the joy of playing together. LEGO toys are displayed at American International Toy Fair in booth #1335 in Hall 3B of the Jacob K. Javits Convention Center from February 16-19.
Leading the next wave of film-inspired building sets is Queen Watevra’s ‘So-Not-Evil’ Space Palace, including the Queen, Batman, Ice Cream Cone, Celeste, Royal Guard, Stars, and Hearts ($99.99 USD). A detailed Shimmer & Shine Sparkle Spa! includes the ‘glampire’ Balthazar, Flaminga, Lucy, Unikitty, Benny, Eight, and Archimedes ($69.99 USD). Finally, builders will love Emmet’s Triple Deck Couch Mech, a next-level build upon Emmet’s invention from the original film that can be rebuilt into a walking mech, featuring Emmet, Unikitty and Sweet/General Mayhem ($29.99 USD@Target stores).
Happy Families Play Together
Co-play with friends, siblings, parents, and care givers benefits child development and positively changes the family dynamic. According to the global Play Well Report1, families that play together regularly are happier, less stressed and healthier than those that lead low-play lives. Ninety-percent of families that spend more than 5 hours a week playing together describe themselves as happy, a figure that falls to only 70% when less than five hours of family play is prioritized per week.
The study reports that play time strengthens family bonds, improves family communication, aids getting to know each other better, and accelerates higher order interpersonal, emotional and social skills. Playful family relationships build significant amounts of trust, empathy and tolerance, while fostering creative risk-taking and innovation. Family play time reduces anxiety, providing a safe way for them to “test drive” their emerging personalities and flex newly-acquired creative, cognitive and emotional powers.
Because play time is “awesomer together,” the company offers families tips for how to prioritize play time, designed to accommodate any family’s busy schedule, found by visiting lego.com/thelegomovie. Families are encouraged to share a photo of how they build together, using the hashtag #awesomertogether.
Ways to Play
“The LEGO Movie 2” building sets offer something for the entire family – from a LEGO DUPLO® set for young builders, to detailed models of film moments, to an open-ended building box that celebrates the queen’s shapeshifting abilities, to collectible minifigures, to a movie maker for building and editing original films to an elaborate display model fit for advanced builders. Sets include minifigures, minidolls and brick-built versions of film characters to inspire hours of building, rebuilding and storytelling fun. Twenty-four building sets and 20 collectible minifigures are available where toys are sold. More information at lego.com/thelegomovie
“LEGO bricks have inspired imaginative and creative play around the world for over 60 years, whether it is creating your own personal world, or building entirely new universes with siblings, friends, parents or classmates during group play,” said Skip Kodak, senior vice president, LEGO Americas. “We’re thrilled that different building experiences have been so aptly depicted in the film, and we’re hopeful that families will be inspired to discover that building, playing and connecting is ‘awesomer together.’”
70837 – Shimmer & Shine Sparkle Spa!
691 pieces | Age 7+ 69.99 (USD)
Available this Spring
Surprises are Guaranteed at the Shimmer & Shine Sparkle Spa!
Join THE LEGO® MOVIE 2™ characters Benny the spaceman, Washed-out Wyldstyle and Unikitty as Calm-Down Kitty at the Shimmer & Shine Sparkle Spa with this colorful playset! Enjoy a massage by Eight the octopus. Relax in the hot tub with Calm-Down Kitty. Check out Washed-out Wyldstyle’s new hairstyle—everyone likes it except her! But beware—all is not what it seems here in the Systar System. That hot tub has a trapdoor. And when Balthazar transforms into a vampire bat, you better get out of there!
- This kids’ toy LEGO® set includes 8 characters from THE LEGO MOVIE 2™: Benny and Washed-out Wyldstyle minifigures, Balthazar mini-doll figure, plus brick-built LEGO Unikitty as Calm- Down Kitty, Flaminga, Eight, Archimedes and Balthazar vampire bat toy figures.
- Shimmer & Shine Sparkle Spa features an arched entrance, buildable loudspeakers, lever-operated revolving wall for Balthazar to ‘transform’ into a vampire bat, hot tub with an opening lid and trapdoor function, buildable sink, 2 removable tables, 6 brick-built potion bottles and assorted elements including a towel, teapot, cup, serving tray and translucent crystal decorations.
- Also includes a buildable massage table.
- Flaminga figure features posable wings and tail.
- The minifigures, mini-doll figure and brick-built figures in this set are all new for May 2019 and the Washed-out Wyldstyle minifigure features blue and pink hair while the Unikitty as Calm- Down Kitty toy figure has a new face expression.
- Kids will love recreating fun-packed scenes from THE LEGO® MOVIE 2™ with this popular toy playset.
- THE LEGO® MOVIE 2™ toy spa measures over 5” (14cm) high, 12” (31cm) wide and 4” (12cm) deep.
70838 – Queen Watevra’s ‘So-Not-Evil’ Space Palace
995 pieces | Age 9+ 99.99 (USD)
Available this Spring
Create Out-of-This-World Adventures With a Space Palace toy from THE LEGO® MOVIE 2™!
Join Bachelor Batman™ and Queen Watevra Wa’Nabi for dinner at the queen’s ‘So-Not-Evil’ LEGO® Space Palace with this fun-packed building set! Enjoy a smoothie and check out the DJ booth. Meet other colorful THE LEGO MOVIE 2™ characters like Ice Cream Cone and launch the Stars and Hearts into space in their pods. Then make the top of the palace spin as Queen Watevra Wa’Nabi takes off in her super space rocket toy!
- This LEGO® palace set includes 9 characters from THE LEGO MOVIE 2™: a Bachelor Batman™ minifigure and Celeste mini-doll figure, plus Queen Watevra Wa’Nabi, Ice Cream Cone, 2 Star, 2 Heart and Royal Guard brick-built figures.
- The multi-level palace toy features a rotating top section with an opening, detachable rocket for Queen Watevra Wa’Nabi, detachable opening pods for other characters, 2 balconies, security room with a buildable security screen and assorted elements including a coffee cup, small heart and donut, and a dining room with a table, 2 seats, sideboard, buildable smoothie maker, assorted food and drink elements and a DJ booth.
- Also includes the Royal Guard’s buildable lollipop.
- Bachelor Batman™ minifigure (with special suit decoration), Celeste mini-doll figure, Queen Watevra Wa’Nabi (small version), Ice Cream Cone (small version) and Royal Guard figures are all new for May 2019.
- Kids can recreate fun-packed scenes from THE LEGO® MOVIE 2™ with this cool palace toy building set.
- Toy palace measures over 18” (48cm) high, 13” (34cm) wide and 7” (18cm) deep.
70842 – Emmet’s Triple-Decker Couch Mech
322 pieces | Age 8+ 29.99 (USD)
Available this Spring at Target, LEGO retail stores and shop.LEGO.com
Build and rebuild with the 2-in-1 Emmet’s Triple-Decker Couch Mech toy!
Create a cool triple-decker couch with THE LEGO® MOVIE 2™ character Emmet! Take a seat on the super-tall buildable couch and have a drink with Unikitty as Rampage Kitty. But beware—Sweet Mayhem could attack at any time. So show off your master-building skills to rebuild the couch into an amazing mech! Get in the driver’s seat and flap the ladder wings. Spin the gear wheel and grab Sweet Mayhem with the claw. Then celebrate by having another mug of coffee. There’s so much fun to be had with this awesome LEGO building set!
- This THE LEGO® MOVIE 2™ toy building set includes an Emmet toy minifigure, Sweet Mayhem mini-doll figure and new-for-May-2019 brick-built LEGO Unikitty as Rampage Kitty figure with a bushy tail.
- This 2-in-1 LEGO® building set features a triple-decker couch that can be rebuilt into Emmet’s couch mech.
- Triple-decker couch features 6 detachable mug elements and ladders on each side.
- Emmet’s couch mech features a top-deck minifigure seat with mug elements as driving ‘controls’, posable arms, legs and feet, spinning gear wheel ‘hand’, gripping claw, and adjustable ladder wings.
- Includes Sweet Mayhem’s blaster.
- Accessory elements include Sweet Mayhem’s adjustable wings, helmet and boosters.
- Kids can recreate fun scenes from THE LEGO® MOVIE 2™ with this master-building Emmet LEGO set.
- Triple-decker couch model measures over 5” (13cm) high, 3” (9cm) wide and 1” (4cm) deep.
- Emmet couch mech model measures over 7” (18cm) high, 7” (20cm) long and 1” (3cm) wide.
“The LEGO Movie 2” Videogame will be available for Nintendo Switch system, PlayStation 4 computer entertainment system, the Xbox One family of devices, including Xbox One X, and PC. Players join Emmet, Lucy and a host of other heroic characters go beyond their world and save their friends from the strange inhabitants of the Systar System. The game’s one-of-a-kind experience centers on open-world adventures with a strong emphasis on creative solutions to puzzles and building, such as using tools to create roads, change the landscape and build structures to unlock more rewards and missions. For more information, visit LEGOMovie2-videogame.wbgames.com
A deep roster of partners is introducing “The LEGO Movie 2: The Second Part” into dozens of lifestyle product categories. Fans will find Soft Goods such as apparel, backpacks, lunch kits, sleepwear, underwear, socks, bedding, beach towels, throws, and headwear; Hardlines such as clocks and watches, storage and display, lighting, costumes and roleplay, holiday ornaments, and water bottles. Paper Goods include stationery, greeting cards, wrapping paper, greeting cards, party goods, calendars and posters, and classroom exchange. Publishing includes chapter books, movie guides, sticker books, readers, reference books, activity books, and magazines.
About the Feature Film
”The LEGO Movie 2: The Second Part,” which opened worldwide in 2D,3D and IMAX Friday February 8, reunites the heroes of Bricksburg in an all-new action-packed adventure to save their beloved city. It’s been five years since everything was awesome and the citizens are facing a huge new threat: LEGO DUPLO invaders from outer space. The battle to defeat them and restore harmony to the LEGO universe takes Emmet, Lucy, Batman and their friends to faraway, unexplored worlds, including a galaxy filled with fantastic planets, strange characters and catchy new songs. It will test their courage, creativity and Master Building skills, and reveal just how special they really are.
The film stars Chris Pratt, Elizabeth Banks, Will Arnett, Tiffany Haddish, Stephanie Beatriz, Alison Brie, Nick Offerman, Charlie Day, Maya Rudolph. Directed by Mike Mitchell from a screenplay by Phil Lord & Christopher Miller, story by Phil Lord & Christopher Miller and Matthew Fogel, based on LEGO Construction Toys, it is produced by Dan Lin, Phil Lord, Christopher Miller, Roy Lee, and Jinko Gotoh; with executive producers Jill Wilfert, Keith Malone, Matthew Ashton, Chris McKay, Zareh Nalbandian, Ryan Halprin, Will Allegra, Chris Leahy. Trisha Gum is the animation director. Patrick Marc Hanenberger is the production designer; Clare Knight, the editor; and Mark Mothersbaugh, the composer. Warner Bros. Pictures and Warner Animation Group present, in association with LEGO System A/S, a Rideback/Lord Miller/Vertigo Entertainment Production, The LEGO Movie 2, distributed by Warner Bros. Pictures. Visit thelegomovie.com
LEGO, the LEGO logo, DUPLO, the Minifigure and the brick & knob configuration are trademarks of the LEGO Group. © 2019 The LEGO Group
About the LEGO Group
The LEGO Group is a privately held, family-owned company with headquarters in Billund, Denmark, and main offices in Enfield, USA, London, UK., Shanghai, China, and Singapore. Founded in 1932 by Ole Kirk Kristiansen, and based on the iconic LEGO® brick, it is one of the world’s leading manufacturers of play materials. Guided by the company spirit: “Only the best is good enough”, the company is committed to the development of children and aims to inspire and develop the builders of tomorrow through creative play and learning. LEGO products are sold worldwide and can be virtually explored at www.LEGO.com
1 The LEGO® Play Well Report 2018. The research is a cross-cultural survey of attitudes and behaviors undertaken in nine countries – China, Denmark, France, Germany, Russia, Saudi Arabia, Mexico, UK and USA.